A mother's well being is intimately tied to how well her partner is and how the relationship is.
Lets look at some of these factors.
Partner's mental health
The dad (or partner) may be worrying about a number of things.
- He may be worried about finances - how to provide for the child.
- If mother is vulnerable, he may worry about her
- He may be protecting him and his wife from larger family pressures (ie pressure to have a son or some cultural practices)
- If under fertility treatment, his self confidence may be affected.
The relationship may be under stress for a number of reasons
- If one of them have a prior mental health issue or having a current episode.
- If it is an unplanned pregnancy
- Substance abuse problems (mostly drinking in the Indian context)
- Domestic violence or abuse (may be indicative of an underlying mental health issue)
Talking to the dad, listening to his concerns and giving him some resources may go a long way. If there is mental health issue or substance abuse, then it is very challenging and needs professional support and family involvement.